Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Guidelines
- General Information from the Office of Faculty Affairs includes information about faculty retention, faculty appointments, promotion, and tenure, reviews, conduct and external activities, retirement, leaves, faculty recognition and policies by school.
- Appointment, promotion, and tenure guidelines (including promotion guidelines for fixed-term faculty) for each school or college at the University.
- The Post Tenure Review Process [PDF] promotes faculty development, ensures faculty productivity and provides accountability. The post-tenure review process should respect the basic principles of academic freedom. Post-tenure review does not abrogate, in any way, the due process criteria or procedures for dismissal or other disciplinary action established under the Trustee Policies and Regulations Governing Academic Tenure [PDF].
- Faculty Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure includes definitions of tenure-track and fixed-term faculty titles.
- Graduate School Faculty Designation contains information about the designation of regular, fixed-term, and special-appointed regular graduate faculty.
- Postdoctoral Scholars Policy outlines appointment, performance evaluation, compensation and grievance procedures for post-doctoral scholars.
- Standard Order Tables includes information about review levels for personnel decisions, required documents for tenured track, tenured and fixed-term faculty, and the dossier submission schedule.
- Tenure/Tenure Track Appointments includes information about dossier review format, extending the tenure clock, promotions, reappointments, and the APT process.
- Tenure Policies and Regulations Governing Academic Tenure in the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill [PDF] are the policies and regulations adopted by the Board of Trustees that address academic freedom, tenure, promotion and procedures for suspension, demotion and discharge.