Skip to main content

The links listed below offer some resources especially useful to new hires. For policies that pertain to the faculty appointment process, please visit the Office of Academic Personnel. For policies regarding benefits enrollment visit the Work-Life and Other Resources section or the Office of Human Resources Benefits page.

Finding Your Way on and Around Campus

  • Chapel Hill Transit has several free bus lines that service campus and the surrounding community.
  • Parking Permits may be available through your department’s allocation depending on its guidelines for employee parking eligibility. Each department has a Parking and Transportation Coordinator who can assist you in getting a permit or finding an alternative parking option.
  • UNC Visitors Center offers its in-person Sense of Place tour that introduces campus history, traditions and the student experience as well as some of the University’s current endeavors in research and innovation.

New Faculty Orientation

  • UNC Human Resources offers Carolina Blue, the University’s newest orientation program for all new UNC-CH employees.

Obtaining Your PID, ONYEN and OneCard

  • Step 1:  Person ID number (PID) is an identification number assigned to all people with a university relationship, as defined by an official university department. Faculty PIDs are created when the departmental HR Representative processes the new hire in EPA Web. When the PID is created there is a delay before this information is disseminated across campus. The other databases authorize services such as receiving a One Card and obtaining an ONYEN. The PID will not be validated for ONYEN creation until the following business day.
  • Step 2: Only Name You’ll Ever Need (ONYEN) is the name for UNC’s campus-wide identifier that you can use to gain access to various electronic resources on campus. Once you have your PID, you will be able to create an ONYEN.
  • Step 3: UNC One Cards are used for library privileges, on-campus gym memberships and meal plans. All faculty may obtain a One Card at the One Card Office when the employee’s information and PID assignment has been processed. Faculty may activate a Faculty/Staff Expense account or sign up for gym privileges at the One Card Office.

Updating Your Directory Information

  • UNC Directory houses contact information for students, staff and employees of the University. In compliance with N.C. state statute, all persons employed by or affiliated with UNC-Chapel Hill are required to have their public, work-related information publicly available. Home address and other personal information are not required to be publicly available. Visit this “help article” about the Campus Online Directory to learn more about it. You can update your information by logging in to ConnectCarolina.

Completing Mandatory Training

  • HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) training is coordinated by the Research Compliance Program. If your duties require handling individually identifiable health information, contact your privacy liaison.
  • FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) training for faculty is provided by The Office of the University Registrar.
  • Responsible Employee Training is required for employees with administrative or supervisory responsibilities on campus, requiring they immediately report to the Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office any conduct that comes to their attention, including but not limited to instances of discrimination, harassment, sexual violence, interpersonal violence and stalking.
  • Title IX Training is a 60-minute mandatory online training courses that discusses the laws governing discrimination and violence, helps employees identify these issues on campus, and provides the resources and reporting options available to employees if they or someone they know experiences discrimination or violence. Occasionally, live trainings are available on campus.

Getting Reimbursed for Moving Expenses

If there are available non-state funds, some departments will offer to assist faculty with relocation expenses. Policy 1270 on Employee Relocation Compensation allows for new employees to be reimbursed if the employing department considers the expense necessary to employ a highly qualified and/or highly recruited individual. The payment for moving household and personal goods includes items such as furniture, clothing, and personal effects, and is limited to packing, transporting, and unpacking a maximum of 15,000 pounds. Section 6.9 “Procedure for Moving and Payment” of the State Budget Manual requires that reimbursement requests for moving expenses be accompanied by three vendor quotes. If the faculty member does not select the company with the lowest bid, a letter of justification must accompany the request for reimbursement. Questions about receipts and reimbursement should be directed to your unit’s business officer.

Preparing for Courses

  • Canvas by Instructure is the official learning management system (LMS) for the University. Faculty can teach courses in Canvas that contain quizzes, assignments, grades, calendars, office hour requests, and other learning tools. While the LMS Sakai continues to be available for use at the University, it is being phased out, so it is recommended that new faculty use Canvas.
  • To request course books, you can fill out a form online.

Participating in University Events

Faculty are encouraged to participate in University events, including Commencement and University Day. Faculty who wish to order custom regalia should contact UNC Student Stores.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email